Friday, April 26, 2013

A rainbow birthday cake

I've been not-so-subtly told that I'm a very poor blogger lately. And I guess since it's been over two weeks since my baby turned 5 and I still haven't posted about her cake, I guess that's a fairly true statement.

Anyway, without further ado, my princess Alexandra turned 5 a few weeks ago, and for her birthday this year, she requested rainbow cupcakes. The catch -- we'd booked a birthday party for her in the community room at our grocery store (where the kids got to make their own pizzas and decorate their own cupcakes for loot bags) and as part of the package, we had to order a birthday cake from their bakery. That meant no cake from mommy :(

So, for her actual mid-week birthday, I went to the effort of making her rainbow cupcakes -- a cupcake pull-apart cake in fact.

I arranged all the cupcakes side-by-side and then used blue icing (to make the sky) to ice them all together like a cake. And then it was just a matter of arranging a lot of Smarties, just right. (And then drawing in a few clouds with the extra icing!)


The surprise part of the cake was when you chose your cupcake and took a bite: 

Yup! I coloured the cake batter with the colours of the rainbow! I must say, I was pretty happy with the way it turned out -- and so was the birthday girl!

2 comments:

Carole said...

Beautiful cake for a beautiful little angel of a girl!

Nancy Downard said...

For someone who 5 years ago claimed that she could not bake, you have become a very creative baker with awesome results .....well done!!!